I definitely agree with you that there is a stereotype throughout America that Southerners are less educated and stupid. I have become especially aware of this when people who live in the North come to visit the South. If these travellers actually lived here though, they would probably have a different opinion. I can see how years of agricultural dominance in the South could foster poor education since a man doesn't need books to grow crops. In the past, the North probably was much more educated than the South because they were more focused on industry, and education and innovation is needed to expand production. However, I feel that the South today has made significant strides in the overall education level of its population. I do not think there is a big difference in the North and the South today, but I can definitely see where this stereotype originated.
Although the South has produced fine universities and built large cities, the media still portrays Southerners in this old stereotype. Many comedies, such as Larry the Cable Guy, are centered around this idea of Southern stupidity and redneckness. Other outlets, such as the Family Guy episode shown in class the other day, show Southerners as backwards and idiotic. I typically find these shows funny, and I'm sure sports like NASCAR do not help the South's case. Today, I feel that the education level of the North and South is not as different as it used to be, but the media continues to portray this idea for entertainment purposes. But I doubt that there is a difference in the smartest individuals in the North and the South, or in the trailer parks and ghettos that scatter the regions.
Nicholas Keith
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment