Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gentlemen





I agree that there is a definite image throughout the United States about "Southern gentlemen", especially among the women. While usually a favorable image, I feel that the media somewhat overrepresents the Southern male class. As a whole, I do feel that Southern men exhibit a more respectful, kind towards others, but this attitude is not as prevelent as it used to be. I appreciate the men that continue to uphold the tradition of "Southern gentleman" in this age.

Like Mitchell, I was raised on strong values of respect and politeness as a child in hopes that I would perpetuate the ideal of the "Southern gentleman". I learned to say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" and to hold the door open for women. I also learned other concepts, such as respect for others and women always come first. My girlfriend is from New Jersey, and she frequently comments on the difference between men in the South and "Jersey Shore" guys. While I enjoy this compliment, I also take pride in our culture's values. Although I would not call myself distinctly "Southern" by any means, I am proud to represent the values that a Southern gentleman displays.

I do feel that there is a greater appreciation for these values in the South than elsewhere in the United States(perhaps it has something to do with the South's greater focus on religion?). Rrom my personal experiences of traveling West or North, people in general do not seem as open and respectful outside the South. Like you, Mitchell, I have been to New York City once and it was quite an experience. While it was interesting being around people out of my element, I did realize that individuals were not nearly as respectful as people are in the South.

Nicholas Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment