Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Country Music, Oh No...

Country music has always been one thing that I have loathed. In my eighteen years of life not once had I ever sat down and thought to myself, “I want to listen to some country right now.” I had a few friends back home that listened to a lot of country, but I couldn’t ever bring myself to enjoy the twangy voices and sappy stories it seemed every country song was filled with. And then I came to Georgia. Now it seems like all anyone wants to listen to is Kenny Chesney or Toby Keith.
Out of all the country I have heard however, I have found one song that I thoroughly enjoy. It was a cool day during winter break, about 8am. I was catching a ride to football practice with my friends Corey and Sean. As we drove down towards Bobby Dodd stadium a song by Billy Currington came over the radio. I was shocked. I found myself first nodding my head, then smiling as I tapped my feet to the country beat. The song is called “People Are Crazy” and has a chorus that sings, “God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.”
The song tells a story of a Billy running into an old man at the bar. While at the bar, and drinking plenty of beer, they start sharing everything about their lives; their opinions, stories of female conquests, politics, etc. After closing time they part ways and never talk again. One day however, Billy sees a picture of the old man on the front page of the obituaries. Billy realizes the man was a millionaire and that all of the money was going to be given to him. The song closes with Billy visiting the old man’s grave and leaving a six-pack on it for him to enjoy.
So there is hope after all! Maybe someday I will be able to find a few more country songs that I enjoy. Besides, I know these southern belles love country music… I had better start!
-Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment