Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Tough
I heard this song by Justin McBride a few weeks ago when we began reading Batard Out of Carolina, and it reminded me of Anney Boatwright when I listened to it. The Boatwrights have been through much hardship in their lives, but they continue to work hard and do what they can to survive. They know who they are, yet they put on this tough image so that people are afraid to make fun of them. For example, Bone's uncles are regarded as some of the toughest men in the county, especially Black Earle. They are said to be tough because they drink all the time, get in fights, and do not take any disrespect from anyone. They are said to be tough because everyone is afraid to mess with them or their family and they have "quick tempers". However, I feel that Anney is the toughest character in this book and this song reminded me of that. A few choice lines from the song read:
Tough is ur fingers bleedin when it's a 100 degrees and you're still underpaid
You keep on goin when you know you've had enough...now that's tough
This portion reminds me of the Boatwright women always working hard for their men and children and never complaining, but the next stanza seems to describe anney perfectly:
Tough is a single mom workin three jobs so her kids can eat
Readin bed time stories when your body's beggin you to go sleep
Givin all you got for what you love...now that's tough
This may seem strange, but I believe Anney is the toughest character in the book. I think this because she has always given everything she has to her children since they are all she has in the world. She made a bad decision and had a child at a young age, but she has always worked extremely hard to give her children the best life possible. I feel that giving all of your effort to another person is much tougher than being physically feared. For example, Anney says to Glen, "I was never gunna have my kids know what it was like. Never was gunna have them hungry or cold or scared. Never, you hear me? Never!" She works all day and never complains just so that her children have a better life than she did, and I think that is tough.
So my question is what is your definition of tough? Do you feel that Anney is tough or who do you think is the toughest character in this book?
Nicholas Keith
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment