I admit that I find your definition of tough very appealing. In fact, that used to be mine. But now I feel that Bones should be considered the toughest. She chooses to take on any hardship herself to avoid letting the one she loves feel pain. She is, in essence, sacrificing her peace, her mind, and ultimately her body so that her mom may have the pretext of being happy. I think that is what makes one tough.
Anney is indeed doing the same. But the sacrifices she makes are more for the material happiness of her daughters. Food, clothing, these kinds of amenities are undoubtedly important. However, Bone is sacrificing for her mom's peace of mind. So she can live happily without worrying about her daughter being molested. Now I know I use the the term "live happily" loosely (I doubt they are happy being poor and unable able to eat) yet I still feel that Bone is the stronger of the two.
-Akshaya
You know what, halfway through the book I said Bone's mother was the toughest, but after finishing the book now, I definitely change my choice to Bone. There is no comparison, good call.
ReplyDelete