So now I am thinking, why are superheroes that important? I mean, four songs relatively close to one another all had mention of a superhero, with the last three that I mentioned mentioned referencing Superman. Heroes are pervasive in pop culture, which got me thinking. Is it really that nice to have someone else save the day for you all the time? Is it really that enticing to let one person do all the work for your safety while you (sometimes safely) sit and watch? Is it really that appealing to relinquish your own security to one (super)man?
I don't consider marvel heroes actual heroes. I see them as simply trying to use what they have to make the world a better place, which is human and mundane and ordinary as the rest of us. The fact that they have more to contributed doesn't earn them the right to be called a superhero.
In my humble opinion, the only people who have a right to be called superheroes are our military personnel oversees. This is because they choose to sacrifice more for our safety than any other ordinary human. And it seems that Superman agreed, when at the funeral of one of his detective friends (sorry I can't remember who, it's been a while since I watched Superman fight Darkseid. However, the quote he said is etched into my mind.), he said. "I am sorry, old friend. In the end, nobody needed a Superman. Just a brave one."
Therefore, I want to add one more song to our list of "hero" songs: "Citizen Soldier" by Three Doors Down.
-Akshaya
Locking Up the Sun : Poets of the Fall
Superman : Five for Fighting
Land of Confusion : Disturbed
Kryptonite : Three Doors Down
Citizen Soldier : Three Doors Down
No comments:
Post a Comment