Many times I find myself thinking “ wait a second, I’ve had this conversation before”. It is a moment of great confusion. Déjà vu, in my opinion, occurs in instances where we are most comfortable. For example, there was a time I was playing cards with my family and I could’ve sworn that the conversation we were having had already been discussed. It are theses instances where we are really enjoying ourselves that this repetition occurs. I can never recall having a negative déjà vu moment.
Nicholas, your discussion as far as what “time” means, got me thinking. Recently I watched the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life”. To give you some background, George Bailey is a family man who just found out that his business was going to go bankrupt. As he knows this will ruin his life he contemplates suicide. It is here that an angel is sent to him who shows George what his hometown would be like if he had never been born. Throughout the scene you are able to see that George had made a huge impact on many lives whether he knew it or not. Because of him many peoples lives were changed for the better. Without George their lives went to shambles. What an experience it would be to see what life would be like if you were never born.
To me repetitions like the ones Binx Bolling had would be comforting. It shows how some things just don’t change. I know myself to like things just the way they are. A change would mean something new and different. I always eat Raisin Bran if I’m having cereal, I will always drink yellow Gatorade if I get a sports drink. I know that these things taste good to me therefore I stick with them.
Note: The clip above is the scene where George goes to his town having never been born.
Mitchell Scates
No comments:
Post a Comment